Our office is here to help assist recovery and rebuilding efforts in any way possible.  North Carolinians who still face unmet needs from Hurricanes Matthew, Florence or Dorian may find help through other state and federal resources.  If you need assistance navigating these resources, please do not hesitate to call one of our offices.

Federal Assistance

Disaster Distress Helpline

If you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed by a recent disaster, call the Disaster Distress Helpline at 800-985-5990 any time day or night to speak with a trained crisis counselor. Or text TalkWithUs to 66746. For Spanish, text Hablanos to 66746.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA) operates the hotline. SAMSHA offers free, year-round disaster crisis counseling services. Additional information is available online at Substance Abuse and Mental Health Disaster Distress Helpline.

U.S. Small Business Administration

Economic injury disaster loans are available from the SBA to provide disaster-related working capital to small businesses and most private nonprofit organizations. These working capital loans may be used to pay fixed debts, payroll, accounts payable, and other bills that could have been paid had the disaster not occurred. The deadline to return economic injury disaster loan applications as a result of Hurricane Florence is June 14, 2019. Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application via the SBA’s secure website at DisasterLoan.sba.gov.

U.S. Housing and Urban Development

The Federal Housing Administration insures mortgages on single family and multifamily homes, including manufactured homes. Call 800-304-9320 or email recovery@hud.gov to learn about resources. To find an approved lender near you, visit the HUD Lender List Search.

U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency

Along with FEMA grants and SBA loans, farmers and ranchers may be eligible for emergency loans through the USDA’s Farm Service Agency. Eligible losses covered by emergency loans and other programs may include crops and livestock. For more information, go online to fsa.usda.gov or visit the nearest FSA office.

In addition, the Value Added Producer Grants program provides funding to help agricultural producers enter value-added activities related to the processing and/or marketing of new products. 

U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development

The USDA Rural Development can provide assistance to homeowners in rural areas. The USDA Single Family Housing Direct Home Loans Program, also known as Section 502 Direct Loan Program, helps low- and very-low-income families living in rural areas by providing payment assistance to increase an applicant’s repayment ability. Loan funds can be used to purchase homes in rural areas; as well as, to build, repair, renovate or relocate a home, or to purchase and prepare sites.

The USDA Single Family Housing Guaranteed Loan Program, also known as Section 502 Guaranteed Loan Program, provides low- and moderate- income families living in rural areas with loan funds to build, rehabilitate, improve or relocate a dwelling in eligible rural communities.

The USDA Single Family Housing Repair Loans & Grants, also known as Section 504 Home Repair Program, provides loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve or modernize their homes or grants to elderly (age 62 and older) very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards. 

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

The website for the Office for Civil Rights division of HHS provides information on effective planning, response and recovery for people who have special needs. Before, during and after a disaster, members of this population may have additional needs to maintain independence, communication, transportation, supervision and medical care.

Visit Office of Civil Rights Special Needs Training

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

If you need assistance seeking medication or care from the VA in the aftermath of a hurricane, please call the Veterans Disaster Response Line at 1-800-507-4571.  

Federal Emergency Management Agency

For up-to-date resources and information on the federal response to Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Dorian. Please visit FEMA's Hurricane Florence Resource Page or FEMA's Hurricane Dorian Resource Page.

National Center for Disaster Fraud

If you suspect fraud, waste, abuse or mismanagement of disaster relief operations, call the Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721. Calls can be made anonymously and confidentially.

State Assistance

Hurricane Recovery

For information regarding Hurricane Florence and Dorian recovery visit the North Carolina Department of Public Safety at ncdps.gov/Florence or ncdps.gov/Dorian2019

North Carolina Emergency Management Individual Assistance Helpline

The NCEM Individual Assistance Helpline is available for those who suffered property damage or loss as a result of a recent hurricane or have issues related to their unmet needs, housing assistance, repairs and medical equipment. Call 919-825-2378.

NC 2-1-1

Survivors with unmet needs may call the statewide information line which can provide callers with nearby shelter, housing and other storm-related details. Dial 2-1-1 or 888-892-1162, or text FLORENCE or NCDORIAN to 898211. The information line is staffed around the clock to connect North Carolinians to disaster-related resources.


ReadyNC provides resources for everything from traffic jams to hurricanes and ice storms. The app and website provide information on real-time traffic and weather conditions, river levels, evacuations and power outages.

Download the ReadyNC app or visit ReadyNC.org.


The NC Department of Human and Health Services, in partnership with the NC Coalition to End Homelessness, the NC Housing Finance Agency and other state agencies and partners, is continuing to house individuals and families affected by Hurricane Florence at risk of homelessness through the Back@Home initiative. Visit backathome.org to learn more. 

Available Housing Information

North Carolina residents who have been displaced by a disaster may search for available housing on NCHousingSearch.org

Property owners and managers can add and/or update listings of available units. Login here or call toll-free 877-428-8844 for assistance.

Disaster Legal Services

Free legal services are available for low-income survivors of a disaster. Attorneys may be able to assist survivors with disaster-related legal matters. Call the Disaster Legal Services Hotline at 833-242-3549.

Insurance Hotline

If you need help with your insurance claim or settlements, call the NC Department of Insurance at 855-408-1212. For more information, go to NCHurriClaims.com.

Services for Seniors

North Carolina has many programs and services for seniors. Details are available on the NC Department of Health and Human Services website.

County Departments of Social Services

Every county in North Carolina has its own local social services agency. A directory with contact names, addresses and phone numbers is on the NC Department of Health and Human Services website.

Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Services

The NC Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services works to promote excellence in prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation programs for persons with mental illness, developmental disabilities, and substance abuse disorders in North Carolina. Visit their website.

Other Resources

Volunteer Opportunities

The North Carolina Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NCVOAD) coordinates volunteer efforts. For information visit ncvoad.org.

The North Carolina organization is part of the National Voluntary Organizations in Disaster.

The American Red Cross provides volunteer opportunities. Go online to find how to help.